Keeping your Will safe – Why is it so important?
A Will is one of the most important documents that you are likely to make. It is vitally important in enabling you to leave clear instructions on how your Estate is to be distributed, as well as explaining any specific wishes that you may want to be followed once you have passed away.
The importance of the decisions that you have made means that you need to ensure that your Will is kept safe and secure. If anything happens to your Will or if your Executor doesn’t know where to find it, you may as well not have written one.
Only the original Last Will and Testament is the only document that will be legally accepted and it must be in pristine condition to ensure that there are no complications when following the wishes set out in it.
Therefore, it is vital that your documents and are stored appropriately so that it meets the specific requirements of the Probate Courts when it is presented by your Executor(s).
The service that I can offer you:
- Free Registration of your Will on the National Will Register, normally charged at £30
- Arrange to store your documents in a fully insured, professional facility, guaranteed against flood and fire damage
- You will receive a copy of your Will to keep for your records, along with a commentary
- Provide you with a unique reference number, so that you can retrieve your Will at any time
- Storage certificates and a letter will be sent to each of your Executors explaining how to retrieve your documents
- Free storage for any additional documents, such as Powers of Attorney or Letter of Wishes.
- Give you access to a Freephone Helpdesk, who can answer any questions that you may have
- Free assistance for your Executors with support and information about their duties after your death
How much does this service cost?
A small annual fee for storage is paid via Direct Debit.
For an individual: £15.00 per annum and for a couple £20.00 per annum.